Tuesday, October 14, 2014

My name is Susan Allred. And I am a writer.

Tap tap tap.  "Is this thing on?"
(pause)
"Testing, testing, one two three."
Sigh.  (clear throat)
"Uh.  Hello.  My name is Susan Allred.  And I am a writer."

***

How do I know, you ask?
Well, that depends.

Maybe I knew I was a writer in 3rd grade when I won a school wide writing contest that sent me to an area-wide young writer's conference.

Maybe I knew when I started getting A's in my creative writing classes, and decided that I loved to write.

Maybe I knew when I decided to minor in English in college.

Maybe I knew when my father gave me his mystery game business, and I began writing and selling mystery games all over the world.

Or Maybe it was when I finally sat down and finished writing my first novel.  And then my second. And now I'm half way through my third of five books in a series.

I don't know when, exactly, I decided I was a writer.  But I can tell you the moment I decided to say it out loud for the world to hear.

I was at an ANWA writer's conference in Rosario Beach, WA with my friend Kat Rosenbaum.  We had the distinct pleasure of listening to Carla Kelly, a historical romance writer.  On her final speech, she urged us to say it loud and say it proud, "I am a writer."

So hear I am.

I am Susan Allred, and I am a writer.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment